What I’m Thankful For
I’m afraid at times that I am better at complaining than expressing thanks. But the Bible instructs all Christians to: “Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world” (Phil. 2:14-15).
Particularly at this time of year, one and all are reminded to be thankful. There is much that I am thankful for. I am thankful for…
1) My godly wife. She is my helper in life (Gen. 2:18). She possesses a gentle and quiet spirit, qualities that are very precious in the sight of God (I Peter 3:4). She is the devoted keeper of our home (I Tim. 5:14).
2) My precious children. “Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, The fruit of the womb is a reward” (Psalm 127:3). It is my duty and honor to bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord (Eph. 6:4).
3) The Bible. The Word of God “is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105). It reveals the truth that will set me from my sins (John 8:32). It contains the gospel of Christ, God’s power to salvation (Rom. 1:16; Mark 16:15-16). It gives me both comfort and hope (Rom. 15:4). It provides all I need for this life and living godly (2 Peter 1:3).
4) Jesus Christ. He left heaven in order to provide salvation to me and all sinners (John 3:16; Phil. 2:5-8). He is my Savior (2 Tim. 1:10). He is my Head (I Cor. 11:3). He is my Mediator (I Tim. 2:5). He is my Friend (John 15:14). He is my Rock (I Cor. 10:4). He is my Shepherd (John 10:14). He is my life (Phil. 1:21). And if I love Him I will obey Him, and He will save me for all eternity (John 14:15; Heb. 5:9).
5) Heaven. I’m so glad this life is not all there is! Heaven is a place where there is no more pain, death, sorrow, or crying (Rev. 21:4). I’m so glad there is a place called heaven where God the Father, Jesus, and all the angels dwell. I’m so thankful that all the redeemed through the ages will always be with the Lord there (I Thess. 4:13-18). And Jesus has promised I will receive this eternal reward if I am faithful to Him till death (I Cor. 15:58; 2 Tim. 4:6-8; Rev. 2:10).
These are just a few of the things that I am thankful for. May you and I take the time to express our thanks to God and others (Ps. 100:4; Col. 3:15; 4:2).